Australian visa applications can be complex and confusing. Professionals like us are there to help you understand the application and requirements of the application. Using the services of a Registered Migration Agent can ensure the validity of your Australian visa application and can also increase your chances of a successful application outcome.

At Oceania Education and Visa Services (OEVS), you are assured that you are receiving the most professional Australian migration and visa advice and assistance for all kinds of Australian Visa and migration enquiries. We offer you complete flexibility in the visa services you require, from initial consultations and general immigration advice to skills assessments, medical booking, translation services, health insurance as well as assistance in completing your entire application form.

Visa class and Subclass

  • Student visa – Subclass 500
  • Student Guardian visa – Subclass 590

Student visa – Subclass 500

A student intending to engage in academic endeavour must apply for a student visa. The student visa allows the applicant to study full time in a recognized educational institute. Student needs to study in a registered education provider and study registered course applicable to the international student. A student visa application must be lodged under visa subclass 500.

This is the only visa application subclass for applicant lodging student visa for Australia.  These include students choosing ELICOS, VET Sector, Bachelor’s, Master’s and other higher education program.  Student visa application should be applied online.

Assessment Level

Assessment level has been divided into two categories: One for education provider and other for the country of the passport of the applicant. Document checklist for each application has been produced based on this matrix. For instance, applicant holding passport with assessment level 2 country wishing to join the education provider with assessment level 1 or 2 may not need to provide financial and IELTS documents for the visa application. However, the Department of Immigration reserve the right to request this information at any stage of the application. We always recommend and encourage to provide the full documents as required by the Department.


Student Visa (Subsequent Entrant) – Subclass 500

This is the visa for the family member of the student holding a student visa.

Student Guardian Visa – Subclass 590

This visa has been introduced to a guardian who comes to Australia to provide care and support to the student visa holder who is under 18 years of age or the student visa holder over 18 years of age who needs care and support because of the exceptional circumstances.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement

Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) assess all the student visa application against student’s intention to stay in Australia temporarily. Factors considered against GTE are:

  • Applicant’s academic and professional circumstances in home country (whether qualification and work experience are in closely related field)
  • The intention of study and commitment to return home country after completion of the education in Australia
  • Immigration history in Australia (has the student complied with the Australian law since arrival in Australia)
  • Consistency of student’s education in Australia and overseas (relevancy of student education history in overseas and Australia with an intended course of study)
  • Student’s potential circumstances in Australia (Value of the course for the student’s future, Student’s plan for a career after completion of study)
  • Any other circumstances that influence the student stay in Australia temporarily

GSM visa is essentially the visas for those who wish to live, study and work in Australia.

Visa Class and Subclass

Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485)

A visa for a recent international student who has recently completed their education in Australia for at least two years.

Graduate Workstream

An international student who recently graduated with the skills and qualifications in the occupation given in the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) in Australia can apply for the visa if they meet other requirements. The successful applicant is granted 18 months visa under this stream.

Post-study Workstream

An international student who recently graduated in Higher Education course from Australian education provider can apply for the visa under this stream if they had applied and were granted their first student visa for Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa for this stream is granted up to four years based on the application Australian qualification.

Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189)

Points Test based permanent residency visa which allows to live and work in Australia indefinitely. The application requires at least 65 points to lodge the Expression of Interest (EOI) and need to support the visa application with evidence of claim points.

Skilled Nominated visa (Subclass 190)

Australian state or territory government agency nominate the eligible applicants. To be eligible for this visa subclass, the applicant needs at least 60 migration points and need to lodge Expression of Interest (EOI) choosing relevant state or territory which may grant the 5 extra points towards the migration application.

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 491)

The temporary visa that allows to live and work up to 5 years in the specified designated regional area of Australia. You may be eligible to apply for Permanent Residency visa if you meet the criteria.

You may be eligible to apply for this visa if you have received the invitation for this visa based on either state or territory nomination or sponsorship from the eligible relatives.

This is also the Points-tested system and hence need to submit Expression of Interest (EOI) and must have received the invitation to apply for the visa.

Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191)

This is the permanent residency visa to permanently live, work and study in Australia for those who meet the criteria that include residing in the designated regional area on an eligible visa for at least three years earning the specific threshold of income every three years.

Skilled-Regional (Residence) Visa (Subclass 887)

This is the permanent visa which allows to live and stay in Australia indefinitely. This visa is for people who hold eligible visa such as subclass 489 and lived for at least two years working at least one-year full time in the regional area of Australia.


Visitor Visa:

Visitor Visa (Subclass 600)

This visa is for people who want to travel to Australia for holiday and recreational activities, visit family members, business visitor activities. There are four streams under this subclass:

Visitor Visa (Subclass 600) – Tourist

This is a visa for those who want to visit Australia for a holiday, recreation or to visit family members and friends.

Visitor Visa (Subclass 600) – Family-sponsored

This visa is for people who want to visit Australia for a holiday, recreation and to visit family members in Australia. To apply for this visa, you must have an eligible sponsor in Australia who is willing to sponsor you.

Visitor Visa (Subclass 600) – Business Visitor

Business people travelling to Australia for a short business trip such as attending conference, negotiation or meeting.

Visitor Visa (Subclass 600) – Tour with a registered travel agent

This is a visa for people who will visit Australia with a registered travel agent from the People’s Republic of China.

eVisitor (Subclass 651)

You must be a passport holder of a certain country to be eligible for this visa.

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) (Subclass 601)

Only certain passport holders are eligible for this visa.

Partner Visa

This is a temporary leading to permanent visa for the partners or fiancés of Australian citizens, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizens to enter and/or remain in Australia. This visa has the following three categories:

  • people intending to get married (fiancés)
  • married partners
  • de facto partners (including those in a same-sex relationship)

Onshore applications

Partner Temporary Visa (Subclass 820) and Permanent Visa (subclass 801)

The applicant in Australia can apply for these visas to stay with the partner. The applicant is required to be in Australia holding the valid eligible visa to lodge this visa.  If the relationship is genuine and continuing for at least two years from the date of application or until the permanent visa is granted, the applicant can be granted a permanent visa. In the case of relationship breakdown any time before the permanent visa is granted, the temporary partner visa may be cancelled.

Offshore applications

Partner Temporary visa (Subclass 309) and Permanent visa (Subclass 100)

This is the visa for an applicant who is overseas at the time of lodging the visa. Both applications (Temporary and Permanent) are lodged at the same time with a single visa application charge is required to pay for the two-stage partner (provisional) leading to Partner Permanent visa. Applicant must be outside Australia at the time of lodgement and grant of the temporary partner visa where an applicant can be in or outside Australia the time of the Permanent visa grant.

Prospective marriage

Prospective marriage visa (Subclass 300)

This is the 9 months visa for people who want to come to Australia to marry their prospective spouse. An applicant can apply for a partner visa in Australia after the marriage.


Other Family Visa

Parent Visa

Eligible child/children need to sponsor their parents to join them in Australia. Since some family visas are capped and queued, it may take long waiting for the visa to be granted.

There are ranges of parent visa (temporary and permanent) as mentioned below.

We can guide you for the right visa according to your requirements.

  • Aged Dependent Relative (subclasses 114 and 838) visas
  • Remaining Relative (subclasses 115 and 835) visas
  • Carer (subclasses 116 and 836) visas
  • Parent and Aged parent (subclass 103 and 804) visas
  • Permanent Contributory Parent (subclass 143) visas
  • Permanent Contributory Aged Parent (subclass 864) visas
  • Temporary Contributory Parent (subclass 173) visas
  • Temporary Contributory Aged Parent (subclass 884) visas

Child Visa

An eligible parent needs to sponsor to bring their eligible child in Australia.

Child in Australia (Onshore)

Child (Permanent) (Subclass 802)

This is a permanent visa for children or stepchildren living in Australia whose parents are Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Eligible New Zealand Citizen.

Orphan Relative (Permanent) (Subclass 837)

This is also a permanent visa for children whose parents are deceased, permanently incapacitated or whose whereabouts are unknown and who have an eligible sponsor in Australia.

Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445)

Children living in Australia whose parents holds a temporary visa and is in the process of receiving a permanent partner visa.

Child in Australia (Onshore)

Child (Permanent) (Subclass 101)

This visa is for overseas child or stepchild who has parents are Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

Orphan Relative (Permanent) (Subclass 117)

This is a permanent visa. In this visa subclass, the eligible sponsor can sponsor for the children whose parents are deceased, permanently incapacitated or whereabouts are unknown.

Adoption (Permanent) (Subclass 102)

This visa is for the children in overseas who have been or about to adopt by an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent resident or the eligible New Zealand citizen.

Dependent Child visa (Subclass 445)

This is a visa for the children whose parent are holding the temporary partner visa and are in the process of receiving the permanent partner visa.

Employer-Sponsored Visa

There is both a temporary and permanent residency visa under an employer-sponsored visa.

  • Temporary Skill Shortage visa (Subclass 482)
  • Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) – Subclass 186
  • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) – subclass 187

Temporary Skill Shortage visa – subclass 482

This is a temporary visa with up to 4 years of visa which allows an applicant to work full time with sponsored employee and family members to study and work in Australia. To apply for this visa, there must be a company operating in Australia and willing to sponsor in the relevant position.

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) – subclass 186

This is the permanent residency visa for a skilled overseas worker who wants to work in an Australian company.

There are three streams under this visa subclass:

Temporary Residence Transition stream

This stream of permanent residency application for eligible subclass 457 or Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) subclass 482 visa holders and the nominated company wants to offer them the permanent position in the same occupation as was sponsored for the subclass 457 or subclass 482 visa. Many other criteria need to be met by both employer and the visa applicants to be eligible to apply for this visa.

Direct Entry stream

This stream is for applicants who have been nominated by the employer under the direct entry stream. Among many other criteria, professional experience of at least three years in the nominated occupation unless exempted, occupation listed on the eligible skilled occupation and have positive skill assessment unless exempt is the primary assessment variable to eligibility under this stream.

Agreement stream

Under this stream, the employer needs to sponsor for applicants through labour agreement.

Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa – Subclass 494

This visa is a temporary residency visa for skilled people who wants to work under the employer sponsorship in the designated regional area of Australia.

Employer-Sponsored Stream

This is the temporary visa for 5 years that allows to live, work and study only in the designated regional areas of Australia. An applicant may be eligible to apply for the permanent residence visa after 3 years of the visa grant and the employer is willing to sponsor further for a permanent visa.

Labour Agreement stream

Under this stream, the employer needs to sponsor for applicants through labour agreement.